A forensics report acquired by The Associated Press has shed light on the unfortunate demise of 23-year-old Brazilian fan, Ana Clara Benevides.
The report, disclosed on Wednesday, confirmed that heat exhaustion was the cause of her tragic death after attending a Taylor Swift concert in Rio de Janeiro.
The heartbreaking incident unfolded on November 17 during Swift’s concert, when Benevides collapsed during the rendition of the singer’s performance. Swift’s concert was held under scorching conditions, with temperatures soaring to a sweltering 40 degrees Celsius (105 Fahrenheit) that day in Rio de Janeiro.
Prompt medical attention was sought as Benevides was swiftly rushed to a nearby hospital. Despite efforts to save her, she succumbed to the effects of heat exhaustion a few hours later.
The forensics report has now affirmed that the extreme heat coupled with the densely packed conditions at the concert contributed to Benevides experiencing heat exhaustion, leading to her untimely passing.
This tragic incident has sparked concerns regarding safety protocols at large-scale public events, especially in areas susceptible to severe weather conditions.
Many folks have emphasized the need for comprehensive measures such as adequate hydration facilities, ready access to medical assistance, and effective heat management strategies at events of such magnitude.
Some fans who attended the event claimed that, organizers did not allow them to enter the venue with their own water. In a statement however, organizers denied this assertion, stating that they followed the best practices possible. They also expressed regret at the unfortunate incident that happened.